Map of Mississippi County, pre-1998
Click on image of map for a larger image
Townships in Mississippi County include:
Big Lake Township Named for the lake that is located nearby.
Bowen Township Named for the Bowen family. Capt. Charles
Bowen came to the county in 1828 and was the county's third sheriff.
John C. Bowen was the county's second Sheriff. The township was organized
from part of Chickasawba Township in 1901.
Burdette Township Organized from part of Fletcher Township in
Carson Lake Township Named for a man named Carson, one of the
first county settlers, arriving here around 1812.
Chickasawba Township Named for the Chickasaw Indian chief Chickasawba
who lived in the vicinity in the 1800s.
Dyess Township Named for W. R. Dyess, founder of Dyess Colony.
Fletcher Township Named for Col. Elliott H. Fletcher, who settled
here in 1840.
Golden Lake Township Takes its name from an early settlement located
on the Mississippi River.
Hector Township Named for the Hector family who came to the area
in 1837 settling on land near Big Lake. Organized from part of Chickasawba
Township in 1901.
Little River Township Named for the river that flows through
McGavock Township Organized from part of Scott Township in 1901.
Namedfor Dr. F.G. McGavock who purchased land here in 1833.
Neal Township Organized from part of Big Lake Township in 1901.
Other townships in
the county include Whitton, Swayne , Monroe, Scott, Clear Lake
Hickman Township Named for Dr. Elliot Hickman who purchased 1000
acres at Hickman Bend in 1840. Hickman was absorbed into Canadian
township in 1998.
Pecan Point Township Named for a part of the McGavock plantation.
Pecan Point was an early river landing. Pecan Point was absorbed in Golden
Lake township in 1998.