This is one of the largest cemeteries in Prairie County and is still actively used by residents in this area.
According to notes by Beatrice Blankenship Page Marlar, "Originally the Southern Methodists had a boxed house they used out at the Hazen Cemetery and there were two graves there, the father and mother of Richard McCain". Mrs. Marlar's father bought that property and gave two acres for a cemetery. They had enclosed one acre so that made a total of three acres. (Editor's note from additional material: Richard McCain eventually moved to Searcy and died June 21, 1931.)
The following information is from the notes of Mrs. A.F. Yopp, formerly Ruth Adams, step-daughter of A.B. Hudson. She relates:
"On October 11, 1873, A.B. Hudson hauled a load of pine lumber from DeValls Bluff to the site on which the Hazen Cemetery is now located, for the erection of a new church."
"Walter Hudson, a child and son of A.B. Hudson, was buried in the yard of the new church on April 14, 1874. That was the first grave made there."
"On May 3, 1874, a Sunday School was organized with an attendance of fifty and A.B. Hudson was elected superintendent. A formal opening of the new church took place on May 24, 1874. This was an all-day meeting with dinner on the grounds. Rev. Holmes preached Walter Hudson's funeral that day. The church was called Bethel. Will Hazen was Bible teacher at the little church."
"On July 8, 1874, Dr. Birkhead held a singing at Bethel. Pioneer preachers at Bethel were: Rev. Dycus, a Baptist Minister; Rev. Boyce, a Presbyterian minister; Rev. Hawley; Rev. Jenkins; Rev. Pipkin; and Dr. Winfield. Trustees of the church were: A.R. Hazen, S.B. Page, A.B. Hudson, and Hugh B. Wheatley."
"There was a union Sunday School picnic on July 7, 1884, and 250 - 300 people attended. Dr. A.R. Winfield of Little Rock offered $170 as an extension gift. The lumber obtained from taking down Bethel church netted $65. The trustees paid $235 payment and on February 18, 1885, purchased the North Methodist Church at Hazen."