Hackett, formerly known as Hackett City, began to be settled in the mid 1800's. This part of Cole Township was named after Major B.F. Hackett, of Company B, 2nd Kansas Cavalry, and 3rd Kansas Battery. He encouraged the growth of the area by giving away much land to promote settlers until 1886. (In 1872, there were only a handfull of people, but by 1880, Hackett had a population between 300 and 400 persons).|
The following is the list of firsts for the city:
First stores: A.B. Merrill, B.F. Hackett, and Christoper Swisher.
Early Churches: Cumberland Presbyterian, Methodist Episcopal South and Baptist.
Lodges: Amith Lodge No. 267 (AF & AM), 1871; L.S. Lodge No. 43 (IOOF) 1888; Oklahoma Lodge No. 3362 (K of H), 1887; Horseshoe Assembly No. 10685 (K of L) 1887; Prairie View Agricultural Wheel No. 596 (about 1889) Excelsior Wheel No. 1749.
Early Bank: Hackett City Building and Loan Association (1887); T.F. Patterson, President.
Early Newspaper, The Horseshoe owned by Captain James A. Williams began in 1886.
Early Planing Mill: Bloomburg Lumber Company.
Real Estate Agents: Harold and Williams.
Lawyers: J.A. Hale and P.D. Brewer.
Dentist: Jay Cash.
Doctors: Savage, Gordon, McGinty, Watson, W.J. Brinks, H.W. Fannin and Forbes.
Early Hotels: Souther Hotel, owned by Mrs. Jorden; Hackett City Hotel J.F. Surratt.
Livery: T.J. Jorden.
Saloons: Irvin and Co.; W.L. Walker; Al Belt, and J.F. Surratt.
Meat Markets: Pruett and Son; Samuel Good.
Dressmaking: Mrs. Williams.
Millinery: Mrs. Murphy and Mrs. McAllister.
Restaurants: C.T. Wilson, Samuel Beaty.
Furniture and Undertaking: W.T. Quinley and Company.
Hardware; Buck Williams
Drugs: Joseph H. Forbes; Savage and Son; Forbes Brothers.
Groceries: Howell; Nutter; M.W. Christopher.
Early General Merchandise: McMurtrey; K & T Coal; Akin and Co. Upchurch and Sons; Hale and Co.; P.B. Cole; J.C. Welch; Doyle and Co.
Dry Goods: J.H. Forbes.
Hackett City was incorporated on September 18, 1886, and was from its beginning highly influenced by coal. In the 1880's K & T Coal Company began operation of mines in the area, which played an important part in the business life of the community.