Marion Co TOC
Graphics by Rhio
FAMILY Submitted by: Jim Milam (email@example.com)
The family name has been spelled BROOKSHIRE and BROOKSHER in most records, although the only record from England has a spelling of BROOKSHAW. BROOKSHER is the spelling in most records after 1830, and BROOKSHIRE appears before this time. Additionally, there is an ancestor in family documents for whom no records have been found. He is Cerf or Surft BROOKSHER from Holland or Germany.
The information in this document for persons predating William R. BROOKSHER (b.1829) and Hester B. HEFNER (b.1837) was obtained from the Mormon Church Family Search internet site. Information for William R. BROOKSHER, Hester B. HEFNER, and later individuals comes from both the Mormon internet site and family documents.
Generation No. 1
1. James BROOKSHAW was born in 1650 in England and died Abt.1726/1727 in Dorchester County, MD. He married Mary ELIZA Abt 1674 or 1679 in Somerset, MD or England. Mary ELIZA was born in 1650/55 in England and died in 1727 in Dorchester County, MD. The couple had the following children:
2. i. Esther BROOKSHAW b. 12 Apr 1680 Somerset County, MD.
3. ii. Margaret BROOKSHAW b. 10 Jul 1682 Somerset County, MD.
4. iii. Mary BROOKSHAW b. 28 Dec 1687 Somerset County, MD.
5. iv. James BROOKSHIRE b. 1 Apr 1690 Old, Sommerset, MD; d. Prior To 1750 Fairfax County, VA.
Generation No. 2
5. James BROOKSHIRE was born 1 Apr 1690 in Old, Sommerset, MD and died prior to 1750 in Fairfax County, VA. He married Sarah MANNERING prior to 1730 probably in Maryland or Delaware. Sarah MANNERING was born Abt 1692 in Sussex County, DE and died in 1750/1751 in Fairfax County, VA. The couple had the following children:
6. i. William BROOKSHIRE b. 1730 Dorchester County, MD or Fairfax County, VA; d. 1779 Rowan/Randolph County, NC.
7. ii. Mannering BROOKSHIRE b. 1732 Fairfax County, VA; d. 1779 Randolph, NC.
Notes for the children of James BROOKSHIRE and Sarah MANNERING:
Both William and Mannering BROOKSHIRE died in the same place and same year during the Revolutionary War. At this time nothing is known about the nature of their deaths or their involvement in the conflict.
Generation No. 3
7. Mannering BROOKSHIRE was born in 1732 in Fairfax County, VA and died in 1779 in Randolph, NC. He married Miss Swift in 1752. Miss Swift was born in 1736 in Fairfax County, VA (date and place of death unknown). The couple had the following children:
8. i. Mannering II BROOKSHIRE b. 1754 Rowan or Randolph, NC; d. 23 Dec 1843 Randolph, NC; Buried in Randolph County, NC.
9. ii. John BROOKSHIRE SR b. 1759 Rowan or Randolph, NC; d. 15 Jan 1847 Greenville, District, SC.
10. iii. Swift BROOKSHIRE b. Abt 1761 Possibly Rowan or Randolph County, NC; d. Possibly Spartansburg County, SC.
11. iv. Thomas BROOKSHIRE b. Abt 1762 Possibly Rowan or Randolph County, NC;
d. 9 Oct 1835 Guilford County, NC
12. v. Joseph BROOKSHIRE b. Abt 1764 Possibly Rowan or Randolph County, NC; d. Possibly Sevier County, TN.
Generation No. 4
10. Swift BROOKSHIRE was born Abt 1761 possibly in Rowan or Randolph County, NC and died possibly in Spartansburg County, SC (date unknown). He married MRS (name unknown) Abt 1787 possibly in South Carolina. Mrs. Swift BROOKSHIRE was born Abt 1765 in South Carolina. The couple had the following children:
13. i. Mannering BROOKSHIRE b. Abt 1788 Greenville Dist, SC; d. Abt 1860 Possibly Calhoun County, AR.
14. ii. Samuel BROOKSHIRE b. Abt 1800 Spartanburg Dist, SC; d. 1886 Marion County, AR.
Notes for Swift BROOKSHIRE and his son Mannering:
Swift BROOKSHIRE is reported to have been a soldier of the Revolution. The specifics of his service are not known. The spelling of his name is similar to Surft BROOKSHIRE who was mentioned at the start of this document. It is not known if they are the same person.
Mannering BROOKSHIRE (Swift's eldest son) is reported to have disappeared at the age of 15 into the west. He is thought to be the ancestor of the BROOKSHER's in north Arkansas who are not known descendants of Samuel BROOKSHIRE.
Generation No. 5
14. Samuel BROOKSHIRE was born Abt 1800 in Spartanburg Dist, SC, died in 1886 in Marion County, AR, and is thought to be buried in an unmarked or unnamed grave in George's Creek cemetery west of Yellville, AR. Samuel BROOKSHIRE was married twice. The name of Samuel's first wife is unknown. She was born Abt 1800 probably in North Carolina and died in Spartanburg Dist., SC (date unknown). This marriage occurred about 1818 in North Carolina and the couple had one known child:
15. Tilmon BROOKSHIRE b. Abt 1819 North Carolina; d. Gordon County, GA.
Samuel's second marriage was to Nancy WILSON Abt 1826 in South Carolina. Nancy WILSON was born Abt 1804 possibly in Maryland and died in Bartow, Cass County, GA. Nancy's father was Vincent WILSON (b. Abt 1780 Maryland; d. probably Georgia). Nancy's mother's was born Abt 1782 in Maryland, died in Gerogia, and her name is unknown. The WILSON family moved from Rockbridge, VA to South Carolina, and finally to Georgia. Samuel BROOKSHIRE and Nancy WILSON had the following children:
16. i. Rachel C BROOKSHIRE b. Abt 1827 Spartanburg County, SC
17. ii. William Riley BROOKSHER SR b. 16 Apr 1829 Spartanburg Co, SC; d. 2 Mar 1904 Marion County, AR; Buried George's Creek cemetery .
18. iii. Lucinda BROOKSHIRE b. Abt 1831 Spartanburg Co, SC.
19. iv. Washington Brazil BROOKSHER b. Abt 1834 Spartanburg Co, SC; d. Bartow County, GA.
20. v. Mary BROOKSHER b. Abt 1836 Spartanburg Co, SC.
21. vi. Ann BROOKSHER b. Abt 1838 Spartanburg Co, SC.
Notes for Samuel BROOKSHIRE:
Samuel BROOKSHIRE was a physician. In his day "bleeding" was a common treatment for certain conditions. The family is still in possession of a bleeding knife or lancet which was used by Samuel BROOKSHIRE. Samuel BROOKSHIRE moved to Marion County AR in 1882.
Generation No. 6
17. William Riley BROOKSHER SR was born 16 Apr 1829 in Spartanburg Co, SC, died 2 March 1904 in Marion County, AR, and is buried at George's Creek cemetery west of Yellville, AR. He married Hester Berrilla HEFNER on 18 Feb 1857 in Hall, GA. Hester HEFNER was born on 18 Aug 1837 in Hall, GA, died 28 Dec 1915 in Marion County, AR, and is buried at George's Creek cemetery west of Yellville, AR. The couple had the following children:
22. i. Leonidas "Lee" Bridges BROOKSHER b. 4 Jan 1858 Bartow County, GA; d. 1934 Marion County, AR; Buried George's Creek cemetery.
23. ii. Amanda Joella "Ella" BROOKSHER JOHNSON MILUM b. 18 Oct 1859 Bartow County, GA; d. Probably Blanchard, OK.
24. iii. Edith Alameda BROOKSHER BRIGGS b. 30 Jul 1861 Bartow County, GA; d. 2 Sep 1930 Marion County, AR; Buried George's Creek cemetery.
25. iv. William Riley BROOKSHER JR b. 4 Jun 1864 Bartow County, GA; d. Probably Fort Smith, AR.
26. v. Thomas "Tom" Dunlap BROOKSHER b. 29 May 1866 Bartow County, GA; d. 12 Sep 1931 Marion County, AR; Buried George's Creek cemetery.
27. vi. Samuel Levi BROOKSHER b. 11 Aug 1868 Bartow County, GA.; d. Probably Fort Smith, AR.
28. vii. Joseph Brazille BROOKSHER b. 29 Jun 1870 Marion Co., AR; d. 1871 Marion Co., AR.
29. viii. Benjamin Felton BROOKSHER b. 14 Nov 1872 Marion Co., AR; d. 1873 Marion Co., AR.
30. ix. Lemuel Dees BROOKSHER b. 6 Sep 1876 Marion Co., AR; d. 1886 Marion Co., AR.
31. x. Mary "Molly" Cleveland BROOKSHER HOUSE KEESEE b. 24 Mar 1878 Marion Co., AR; d. Jun 1964 Harrison, AR; Buried Rose Hill cemetery, Harrison, AR.
32. xi. Olivia Antrum "Ola" BROOKSHER WEAST b. 16 Feb 1880 Marion Co., AR; d. 14 Aug 1945 Yellville, AR; Buried Layton cemetery,Yellville, AR.
33. xii. Nancy Lavica "Lula" BROOKSHER WEAST b. 28 Feb 1882 Marion Co., AR; d. 17 Jul 1967(?) Yellville, AR; Buried Layton cemetery, Yellville, AR.
Notes for William Riley BROOKSHER SR and Hester Berrilla HEFNER:
The family moved to Marion County, AR in 1869, settled in Turkey (west of Yellville), and were active members of the Cedar Grove Methodist Church. William Riley BROOKSHER was issued a homestead on 40 acres in Marion County, AR on 30 Aug 1882. Agriculture was the primary pursuit of the family.
William Riley BROOKSHER SR was a member of the Yellville Lodge of the A.F. & A.M. In 1862 he enlisted in Company C, Fourth Georgia Cavalry, and served three years, participating in many bloody engagements. Although the blanket he carried was pierced by four bullets, he was uninjured during his service. No history is known of how the family fared during the Civil War, however the family was located in Hall, GA (Bartow Co.) just northwest of Atlanta where fierce engagements took place. William Riley BROOKSHER's brother Washington Brazil BROOKSHER also served in the armed forces of the Confederacy, surviving the conflict.
Hester Berrilla HEFNER's parents were Levi HEFNER (b. 1807 Possibly Georgia) and Lavica JONES (b. 1808 Possibly Georgia). Hester Berrilla HEFNER's known siblings were: Benjamin, Amanda, William, Mary, Martha, Elizabeth, Savannah, Alice (Bill), Angeline, Adeline, Sally, Roxanna (May), Nancy (Ruth), and George. Benjamin and Amanda died of TB, and all the others reached adulthood and were married.
The Mormon internet site listed a thirteenth child of this couple: Sherman R BROOKSHER b. Jun 1869 Bartow County, GA or Marion County, AR. No family records of Sherman R BROOKSHER are known. The BROOKSHER family bible lists all the other children, including those who died in infancy. For now the family bible records are assumed to be correct (i.e. - There were twelve children).
Generation No. 7
34. i. Robert R. BROOKSHER.
35. ii. Tessie BROOKSHER.
36 iii. Lemuel BROOKSHER b. 1886; d. 1941; Buried George's Creek cemetery.
Notes for Leonidas "Lee" Bridges BROOKSHER:
Lee BROOKSHER was active in the Cedar Grove/Turkey community for many years. He was issued a homestead on 120 acres in Marion County, AR on 04 May 1885, and engaged mainly in agicultural pursuits. In 1905 Lee BROOKSHER and Augustus G. "Gus" PIERCE went into partnership to build a store at Comal, a small town on the south side of Crooked Creek. The town of Comal flourished for a few years, having a post office until 1918, but was virtually abandoned by 1920. In 1909 Lee built a store in Turkey which he operated for about two years before selling it to Jasper BURLESON.
37. i. Felton JOHNSON.
38 ii. Eva JOHNSON.
24. Edith Alameda BROOKSHER BRIGGS was born 30 Jul 1861 in Bartow County, GA, died 2 Sep 1930 in Marion County, AR, and is buried at George's Creek cemetery west of Yellville, AR. She married John J. "Jack" BRIGGS (b. 23 Nov 1860). The couple had the following children:
39. i. Lena BRIGGS.
40. ii. William Wright BRIGGS.
41. iii. Jewel BRIGGS.
42. iv. Bertha BRIGGS.
43. v. Lon BRIGGS.
44. vi. Carl BRIGGS.
45. vii. Worth BRIGGS.
46. viii. Levi BRIGGS.
47. ix. Cecil BRIGGS.
25. William Riley BROOKSHER JR was born 4 Jun 1864 in Bartow County, GA and died probably in or around Fort Smith, AR. He married Eda B. (or maybe Ida) COX. The couple had the following children:
48. i. William Riley BROOKSHER III.
49. ii. Mont BROOKSHER.
50. iii. Lucille BROOKSHER.
51. Jo Ella BROOKSHER b. Abt 1923.
52. Levi, Jr. BROOKSHER.
53. i. Zelpha Zola HOUSE WAHL b. 14 Oct 1900 Turkey (Marion Co.), AR; d. 30 Jun 1988 Helena, AR; Buried Maple Hill cemetery Helena AR.
54. ii. Lillian Brooksher HOUSE COLE b. 1903; d. 1968 Magnolia, AR; Buried Magnolia, AR.
Notes for Ola and Lula BROOKSHER:
Ola and Lula BROOKSHER's husbands (Lucian M. WEAST and Virgil H. WEAST) were brothers. The WEAST family has a long history in Marion County, AR. Virgil WEAST's marriage to Lula BROOKSHER was his second. His first marriage was to Eva BAUNGARNER.
Return to Marion Co Home Page