Marion Co TOC
Marion Co email list
Marion Geo Society
Geo Soc's Newsletters
History of Marion Co
Marion Co Timeline
Mt Meadow Massacre
Myths, Legends & Stories
Planning a Trip to Yellville
Post Office History
Resources for Marion Co
Graphics by Rhio
JOHN NOWLIN M.D.
Submitted by: Frances Bates Fortune (firstname.lastname@example.org)
JOHN NOWLIN, M.D.
Born 1795 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia to Rev. David Nowlin and Lucy HENSLEY. Married Nancy DIXON, daughter of Thomas Dixon of Halifax County, Virginia. They apparently were married in both Halifax County, and Pittsylvania County, Va. As the marriage is recorded in both places, three days apart....one on 25 December 1815, the other on 28 December 1815. (Nancy Dixon was born 1796 in Halifax County, VA.)
John Nowlin was a physician and practiced medicine in Halifax County, Virginia until 1824 when he moved with his family to Madison County, Alabama. He continued to practice medicine, however he also engaged in farming to an extensive scale in Hurricane Valley. John Nowlin lived near his father David Nowlin. They lived neighbors, one to another; David owned 10 slaves, John owned 12 slaves. Nearby lived a family they later married into, the Methvin's. (SEE METHVIN)
The following are the children born to Nancy Dixon and Dr. John Nowlin:
In 1830 John Nowlin was residing with his family within Madison County, Alabama. At some point prior to 1838 he moved by himself to Marengo County, Alabama. The Biographical Souvenir of the State of Texas, at the University of Texas State Library, states the following regarding John Nowlin M.D.:
"He was a physician and followed his profession until his death, being at the same time extensively engaged in farming. He was a man of moral upright life, thoroughly correct in all his habits, and a life long member of the Primitive Baptist Church."
On 29 July 1838 John Nowlin, M.D. died in Marengo County, Alabama. According to Chancery Court Records of Madison County, Alabama he left Nancy Dixon Nowlin with seven small children and a huge estate. There is no additional records referring to Nancy Dixon Nowlin for the next nine years.....that is when her daughter Corasanda marries John Woodrow Methvin on 15 March 1847 in Madison County, Alabama. In May 1847 John W. Methvin has her declared "non compas mentis", or insane...and he assumes her legal affairs. More details of this can be found in the references I have written on the METHVIN family.
1. Rev. DAVID PEYTON NOWLIN. Born: 1817 in Halifax County, Virginia. He moved with his parents to Madison County, Alabama on 31 October 1824. He married Nancy COLLIER, daughter of Green Collier and Nancy Trotter Collier (who resided in Madison County, Alabama near Owen's Cross Roads) Nancy was born in Kentucky in 1816, her brother Green Collier Jr. was a Cumberland Presbyterian Minister . By his marriage to Nancy Collier he had four children:
A. MARTHA A. NOWLIN born 1835 in Madison County, Alabama
B. JOHN SHERROD NOWLIN born 1840 in Madison County, Alabama
C. ISHAM NOWLIN born 1843 in Madison County, Alabama
D. WILLIAM C. NOWLIN born 1847 in Madison County, Alabama
Information from Lillian Taylor WALL, at the age of 90 (who was the granddaughter of Catherine Nowlin DOUGLAS, and niece of Dr. John Nowlin) of Atlanta, Georgia stated that she attended the church where Rev. David Peyton Nowlin served. She said that Rev. David P. Nowlin and his wife Nancy, had an "unhappy difference" making them go their separate ways. David moved to Sullivan County, Missouri where he married 2nd to Lurena PAGE. Nancy Collier Nowlin married a Mr. HAMMOCK and moved with her children to Texas, she had at least one additional child by Hammock.
Rev. David Peyton Nowlin's children by Lurena Page:
E. Rev. THOMAS SHERROD NOWLIN born 1854 in Sullivan Co., Missouri. He married Letha A. MOORE about 1874 in Marion County, Arkansas and is living there with his mother-in-law in the 1880 Census: Entry is as follows: Lanvina MOORE age 61, Thomas NOWLIN age 27 (son-in-law), Letha age 24 daughter, Lucy W. age 5 granddaughter, John C. age 3 grandson, Victoria age 25 months granddaughter
F. HAMPTON WADE NOWLIN born 1857 in Sullivan County, Missouri .He married Genetta PYLE daughter of Samuel Gove Pyle about 1877 in Marion County, Arkansas. In the 1880 Marion County, Arkansas Census for Hampton Township, they are located next door to his father David Nowlin. They are listed as follows: Wade H. Nowlin age 23, Jenetta age 21, Ardena A. age 3 daughter, Frank age 1 son.
G. Rev. DAVID PEYTON NOWLIN Jr. born about 1862 in Marion County, Arkansas. In the 1880 Census he is age 18, at home with his parents in Hampton Township, Marion County, Arkansas
David Peyton Nowlin and his second family moved to Marion County. Arkansas. They settled near Yellville. David Peyton Nowlin was raised a Primitive Baptist, but in 1866 he joined the Christian Church and became a Minister of the Gospel. He died 14 June 1888 in Marion County, Arkansas. Lurena Page Nowlin died 1887. Both are buried in Pyle Cemetery, near Yellville, Arkansas.
H. GEORGE A. NOWLIN born about 1865 in Marion County, Arkansas
2. MARTHA A. NOWLIN ,born 1820 Halifax County, Virginia
3. SHERROD G. NOWLIN, born 8 December 1822 Halifax County, Virginia. Married: Ruthie METHVIN on 12 August 1841 in Franklin County, Tennessee (She was the daughter of James S. Methvin, and the sister of John Woodard Methvin) "In 1858 Sherrod Nowlin moved to Texas with his family. He lived in Fannin County, near Honey Grove for six years. Then he moved to Grayson County, which was an unbroken prairie. He began a settlement and forever remained on that site. He raised nine children, all of whom settled within 50 miles of his original homestead. Sherrod Nowlin taught all of his children to live useful and productive lives, he provided well for their schooling and instilled them all with the truths of the gospel." (Source: Biographical Souvenir of Texas, Texas State Library)
Children of SHERROD G NOWLIN:
A. NANCY ANN NOWLIN, married Charles TAYLOR
B. SUSAN NOWLIN married #1 Richard COX, #2 Isom WELCH
C. CARRIE E. NOWLIN
D. JAMES C. NOWLIN
E. MARTHA J. NOWLIN married William WELCH
F. JOHN W. NOWLIN
G. ALICE NOWLIN married James HUFFAKER
H. ARDENIE NOWLIN
I. BRYANT NOWLIN
4. THOMAS P./F. NOWLIN, Born: 1826 Madison County, Alabama. Married: Elizabeth Copeland in 1845, living in Arkansas in 1860
5. CATHERINE M. NOWLIN, Born: 1828 Madison County, Alabama
6. WILLIAM H. NOWLIN, Born: 1830 Madison County, Alabama
7. CORASANDA NOWLIN, Born: 1830 Madison County, Alabama. Married: John Woodrow METHVIN on 18 March 1847 in Madison County, Alabama. He died during the Civil War having served from Marion County, Arkansas. After his death she remarried to John Monroe KEETER.(Further data on her in the METHVIN paper).
Her four children were:
A. ALONZO DEEN METHVIN, born 8 Oct 1849, Carroll Co. Arkansas
B. JOSEPHINE METHVIN (COKER) ,born. in 1852 Marion Co., Ark.
C. HANNAH ANN METHVIN (PYLE) bn. 1854 in Marion Co.,Ark.
D. JAMES HANSFORD METHVIN born 8 Feb 1856 in Marion Co., Ark.
Sources other than those mentioned:
Return to Family Lines Index
A Brief Study of My Nowlin Genealogy, by Roy Hicks Nowlin, B.S., M.Ed., Brownwood, Texas 1957
Notable Men of Alabama, Vol II., by Joel C. Dubose 1904
A History of Pioneer Families of Missouri, by William S. Bryan and Robert Rose
Nowlin Genealogy Notes, by Zelpha Nowlin Gardner, Webster Groves, Missouri
Will of David Nowlin - Madison County, Alabama
Marriages of Pittsylvania County, Virginia 1767-1830
History of Pittsylvania County, Virginia by Clement, pages 192-193
Madison County, Alabama:Marriage Records; Wade Nowlin Estate File #1225; 1830 Federal Census; 1850 Federal Census; Estate Settlement for Heirs; Deeds; Chancery Court Records
Carroll County, Arkansas - 1850 U.S. Census
Biographical Souv. Of Texas, by Day - University of Texas State Library
Return to Marion Co Home Page
Linda Haas Davenport