Marion Co TOC

What's New?
Census Records
Courthouse Info
Marion Co email list
Family Genealogies
Marion Geo Society
Geo Soc's Newsletters
History of Marion Co
Marion Co Timeline
Mt Meadow Massacre
Myths, Legends & Stories
Photo Gallery
Planning a Trip to Yellville
Post Office History
Resources for Marion Co
Transcribed Records
Helpful Links
Contact -

Graphics by Rhio


Mt. Echo Newspaper
December 1887 Issues
Abstracted & Copyrighted
by Gladys Horn Brown

Dividing Line

December 2, 1887 Issue


We are informed that the post office in Wiley's Cove has been changed to Leslie, in honor of Samuel Leslie, Jr., deceased. That town will hereafter be known as Leslie. Marshall Dollar Times.


John Akin is happy. He is father of a bouncing baby girl.

Dr. Wm. Noe, of Yellville, passed through this township on Friday last en route to Oakland. The doctor has many warm friends in this section.

We have no deaths or marriages to report; but judging from the smile which adorns Eulam McCracken's face a few days ago, we think he is contemplating matrimony.

We were awaken from our slumber a few nights ago by a dreadful racket in the direction of "Goatville," which we did not understand; but when we attended church in said town the following Sunday, observed Judge Flippin walking with a stately step in the direction of the church, with his amiable bride by his side, the "racket" was no longer a mystery.

LEAD HILL ITEMS [Herald, Nov. 26]

A smokehouse, belonging to Joe Chadwick, two miles south of town was consumed by fire last night. It is supposed to have been the work of an incendiary.


The George's creek boys welcomed the arrival of J. H. Coffee and wife by the firing of guns, ringing of bells, blowing of horns, and plenty of good music, such as banjo and violin music.

Our young friend, Ben Clark, whose arm was torn off by a cotton gin, is convalescent. The doctors say he will be able to enter school in January.

Our people seem to be preparing to go into winter quarters, for Capt. J. Dobbs has built a new smokehouse; Louis Perry is having a dwelling erected, and L. & T. Davenport are at work on their houses, and S. J. H. has finished his stove flue.


Last week we were called on to mourn the death of Mr. B. F. Alexander. He died at his home near Rally Hill. He was one of the most advanced students of Valley Springs Academy. Within one hour after the announcement of his death, the academy was draped in mourning, and each teacher and student was wearing a badge in token of bereavement.

Mr. J. T. Fullerton has been employed as an assistant. He is a good instructor. Our school is on a perpetual boon; 170 names enrolled. Seven counties represented.


Our basket supper passed off pleasantly. Mr. Brown, our genial auctioneer is a "good one," as the boys have it. Although the night was rather rainy, there was a good crowd out. The occasion was made more pleasant by being interspersed with music by Misses Jobe, Curr, and Query.

Miss Una Jobe, who has been at home for a couple of weeks, will assume charge of her class next week.


There is considerable sickness still in the county.

Charlie Wilson says its awful nice to be sandwiched between two pretty girls.

Neal Dodd returned from Little Rock last Sunday in time to attend the wedding.

When we get 1,000 subscribers we will double the size of The Echo. Let every friend of the paper go to work for it.

Revs. J. M. Cantrell and J. H. Watts are in town a day or two this week, handshaking with old friends and acquaintances.

The bachelor ranks are being thinned. Only about three of the bachelor brotherhood who used to meet around the festal board at Weast's hotel are left.

We have J. H. Bradford, the new pastor of the Yellville circuit, is expected to arrive with his family from Mtn. Home this week. They will occupy the parsonage.

Mr. J. C. Garrett, of Washington county, who is visiting old friends and relatives in Prairie township, called at The Echo office on Monday in company with his brother, R. B. Garrett.

Dr. Noe informs us that he will as soon as he can get the lumber, have the post office building enlarged and generally improved. He will use the front for his drugs and the P.O. will kept in the rear.

It is unlawful to kill deer and prairie chickens between the 1st of February and the 1st of September; turkeys between the 1st of May and 1st of September; quails between the 1st of March and the 1st of October.

Rev. O. H. Tucker and family started to Quitman on last Wednesday. Mr. Tucker was appointed president of Quitman College and pastor of the church at that place by the recent conference. During their stay of three years at this place, Mr. Tucker and family made many friends who will join The Echo in wishing them success.

Fount King and wife, and Miss Una Jobe, of Eros, were visiting friends in town this week.

Deputy U. S. Marshall B. Flippin was in town yesterday. He had just returned from an official trip to Newton county.

Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Floyd have moved to their cozy little home, where we hope happiness will reign as long as they both live.

Misses Lou Routh and Lou Ward, in company with Dr. Andrews and Mr. Wm. Mitchell, of Harrison, attended the wedding on Sunday night.

Married - At the residence of Mr. J. S. Cowdrey on Thursday evening, December 1st, 1887, Mr. Wm. Rowan to Mrs. Vinia Galliher, J. B. Rowden, J.P., officiating.

Mr. Jeptha Potette of Springfield, Mo., is in town. He is collecting for Mr. Alex. Scott. We learn from him that Alex. has another heir at his house, the first arrival in eight years.

Sam Lawson was all smiles the other day when he entered our den and proudly announced the arrival of a new boy at his house. Jim Cowdrey wore no less a smile but he said his boy was a girl.

Mr. T. H. Fee will open the subscription school at Peel on next Monday. He will no doubt, have a full school, as he is well known and well liked by the people up there. The Echo wishes him success.

The distillery out on Water creek township has suspended work, and Mr. F. M. Wolf, the gauger, left on Tuesday for his home at Franklin, Izard county. Mr. Wolf is an affable gentlemen and he made many friends during his stay here.

Misses Lexa Clifford and Nellie Smith, two charming young ladies of Harrison, visited Yellville the latter part of last week, returning home on Sunday. The Echo office was honored by a visit from the said young ladies and Miss Mary Berry, on Saturday evening.

Drs. C. F. and W. B. Greene, of Lead Hill, were in town last Friday. The latter came to be examined before the Medical Board, but none of the members were in town. The departure of Dr. Lindley, the secretary, leaves a vacancy in the board. Drs. Pierce and Small are the other members.

Mrs. J. F. Wilson and her little daughter, Don(sic), came down from Harrison last Saturday and will probably remain all winter. Col. Wilson is now at Prescott, Arizona, where he is building up a fine law practice, but owing to the extreme cold climate, his family will not go out there until spring.

       On last Sunday night, the ME Church South of this place was well filled for the double purpose of hearing O. H. Tucker preach his last sermon at this place and to witness the marriage of Mr. DeRoos Bailey and Miss Lillie McDowell.
       At the conclusion of the sermon (7:30) Dr. J. A. Andrews and Miss Lou Routh, and Mr. Wm. Mitchell and Miss Lou Ward, all of Harrison, entered the church in advance of the bridal party and as Miss Routh played the wedding march on the organ, the groom and bride preceded by their attendants, marched up the aisle and took their places in front of the altar, where Rev. O. H. Tucker pronounced the short but beautifully and impressive ceremony that united them in Holy bonds of wedlock.
       The Echo always chronicles with pleasure the fruition of fond hopes and blending of loving hearts, and especially when, as in the present case, the principal actors are such worthy and promising young people, and whom we so highly regard on account of their worth. Mr. Bailey is one of the rising young lawyers of Arkansas and at present is the able and very efficient prosecuting attorney of this judicial circuit. He is now a citizen of Marshall, Searcy county, but his residence here for several years, which was transferred to Marshall only about a year ago, causes us to regard him as one of our own young men, for while here, he won the esteem and confidence of all our people. Miss Lillie was admired by all who knew her. Possessing rare personal beauty, but best of all, a sunny, cheerful and kind disposition, she made everyone her friend. We think both have made a wise choice, for we believe two hearts are well mated, two lives well joined. The attendants were Mr. Ralph Bailey and Miss Ora Allen, of Harrison, and Mr. Neal Dodd and Miss Hattie McDowell, of Yellville. The bride and bridesmaids were very becomingly attired in white, but we are not sufficiently versed in frills and flounce to give a description of their toilets. The groom and his attendants wore the regulation black suits.
       After the ceremony, the congregation dispersed, and quite a large number of invited guests repaired to the residence of the bride's father, Mr. G. W. McDowell, where a reception was held. After the usual congratulations, the guests were invited to supper and a feast of good things was served. The tables were elegantly and tastily(sic) decorated and laden with all the delicacies and substantials, cooked in a manner to tempt the most fastidious epicure.
       The happy couple were the recipients of many nice and useful presents, but we are unable to publish a list of them.
       On Monday morning, the newly married couple went to Harrison, and thence to Marshall, where they will reside. The well wishes of their host of friends follow them.
May they have when the fitful fray
and storms of life are o're, A peaceful, bright, and cloudless way,
to Heaven's happy shore.

December 9, 1887 Issue (Top)


Eleven convicted Bald Knobbers have been released by Judge Thayer of the United States Court at Jefferson City, Mo., on bonds of $2,000 each.

Miss Lura Brown is now the editor of Arkansas Life. Mr. R. J. Brown, the owner of the Life, has been employed as reporter on the Little Rock Democrat.

       Knight, the driver of the mail hack between Harrison and Eureka Springs, says that on Monday night, about a mile beyond Carrollton, a man called to him to halt, and fired at him to enforce the demand, upon which he halted. The man made him throw out the mail pouches, and then proceeded to cut them open, taking out the registered packages. There were 15 of those and it is supposed the robber knew of the unusual amount. There were but two passengers in the hack - both ladies. The robber searched them, but finding they had but a dollar or two, returned their money. We are becoming civilized. - Boone Banner, 8th inst.

LEAD HILL ITEMS [Herald 3rd inst.]

A telephone line between here and Harrison is non communicative.

J. C. Penix moved from Marion county to the Cantrell farm west of this place last week.


Mr. C. E. Garrett, the clever book man, is in town.

"Uncle Jack" Noe is having a foot bridge built across the town branch.

Sheriff Keeter has received his commission as collector and announces, by posters, that he will commence collecting taxes on the 6th of January in Hampton township.

Felix Huddleston, of Bruno, who was in town the first of the week, reports a good deal of sickness and several deaths in his part of the county. He says there has been a good deal of mad dog excitement recently at his village.

We learn that George Wickersham has rented his blacksmith shop to Chas. Campbell, and at about the first of the new year, George will associate himself with F. G. Huddleston in the general merchandise business at Bruno.

On Thursday of last week, a dog belonging to J. D. Faulkinbury, who lives south of town, left home with hydrophobia and bit a daughter of Smith Matlock, and old Uncle Tommy Barnes. Nearly every dog in the neighborhood was bitten by the same dog.

Mr. S. L. Wiggins and his little daughter are both dangerously sick. Mr. Wiggins was brought home sick last week from the mines, and has been growing worse ever since. He has typho-pneumonia. His little girl has been sick about two weeks.

Dr. J. M. Coker and family have moved to town and now occupy the house where Ben Weast has resided for the past year, opposite Wilson's Hotel. We extend a cordial greeting to the doctor and his good family. Ben Weast has removed to his old residence, on which he has made some improvements.

The marriage of Mr. DeRoos Bailey, our able prosecuting attorney, and Miss Hattie McDowell, of Yellville, took place at Yellville last Saturday - Baxter Citizen. This will be news to our friend Bailey, for we are satisfied that he was under the impression at the time that it was Miss Hattie's sister, Miss Lillie, he married.

Messrs. George and Oscar Layton, of Oakland, and Mrs. Hart, of Baxter county, failed to arrive in time to see their mother, Mrs. Ellen Layton, before she died. Word was sent to them of the serious illness of their mother, and they made all haste to get here, but alas, they were too late. Our sincerest sympathy is with them all.

On Tuesday evening last, Mr. I. G. Fletcher, who lived in the Fielding house above town, died of pneumonia. He was about 60 years old, and was a hard working old man. He leaves a wife with a young babe, and several other small children, who are, we learn in destitute circumstances and are left on the cold charities of the world. They should not be neglected.

The Boone Banner of the 1st Inst. says: "Old man Kendall, who lived near Bear Creek Springs, was killed by his son, R. H. Kendall, last Thursday night. The old man had been crazy, and that night grew violent, so it is said, and threw a stick of wood at his son, whereupon the son threw a stone at his father, which struck him on the head and killed him. A neighboring J.P., instead of sending for the coroner, held an inquest, and the jury rendered the verdict that Kendall came to his death as stated. The young man has not been arrested.

DIED. On Sunday Morning the sad news of the death of Mrs. Ellen S. Layton was whispered from one to another. "Grandma Layton is dead." These words carried sadness and sorrow with them and many eyes were dimmed by the tears by the sad intelligence they bore. She died at the residence of her son, Mr. A. S. Layton, ten minutes before 8 o'clock on Saturday night, December 3rd, 1887, in her 72nd year. She had been sick with pneumonia about two weeks.
       Mrs. Layton was a true Christian woman and a kind and loving mother. She had lived here many years and was loved by all who knew her.
       On Monday morning her remains were followed by the grief stricken relatives and a large concourse of friends to the Tutt Graveyard, and after burial service by Rev. J. H. Bradford, all that was mortal of Grandma Layton was tenderly and sorrowfully laid to rest beside the grave of her husband who had preceded her.
       She leaves six children, a number of grandchildren, many other relatives and a host of friends to mourn her loss. None but those who have sustained the loss of a mother - the best and truest friend on earth - can realize the deep sorrow and bare anguish now realized by the bereaved family.
Sure, the love of a mother can never be told,
for it lasts till her heart is silent and cold.

An appropriate obituary will appear next week.


L. Davenport's dog went mad and bit some stock, but he has since been killed.

Wm. Perry is very low with the pneumonia fever.

On last Monday night the people were aroused from their slumbers by the same old sound - the firing of guns, ringing of bells, etc., in the direction of A. B. Hampton's. The cause of such is occurring very frequent. - Wildcat -

VALLEY SPRINGS [Dec. 6th, 1887]

Mr. Curt Bedwell, died today about 12 o'clock. He had been sick for some time.

There are several cases of sickness in this neighborhood.

Mr. James Johnson, a student of our school, is very low with fever. He is not expected to live.

Married on last Sunday, Mr. Joe Barger of this place to Miss Bincy Rose, of Western Grove. We wish them a pleasant and happy journey through life.

December 16, 1887 Issue (Top)


Gold has been discovered in Lawrence county.

The women of Wisconsin, by a recent decision of the United States Circuit Court, have a right to vote in all municipal elections.

A peculiar disease has broken out near Monark, Ark., which is having a very deadly effect. It is termed by the physicians as black diphtheria, and the death average of those afflicted is seven out of ten.

A horrible death from hydrophobia is reported from Hot Springs. A lady was bitten by a mad dog nine weeks previous to her death while defending her children from the attack of the dog. A mad stone was applied and adhered to the wound, and other antidotes were administered, but to no avail. [transcriber note: this lady is named in another issue.]

Two Mormon elders were given orders to leave Washington county last week by indignant citizens, and they stood not upon the order of their going, but left at once, wearing an undershirt of tar and feathers. They succeeded, however, before leaving, in making several converts to the Mormon faith, who were sent to Utah. Among the "converts" was the wife of a well to do farmer, and her husband is pursuing with blood in his eye.


Mr. Wm. Cowdrey's son, Claude, is reported as being quite low with pneumonia.

Mr. L. Davenport started to old Alabama last Wednesday to visit old friends and relatives.

Our friend, Wm. M. Noe, Jr., killed a fatted calf the other day in honor of the arrival of a new boy at his house. He now resides at the doctor's old place.

Wesley Lewallen was in town Saturday for the first time in a long while. He is teaching the public school at the Ervin school house in White River township.

Rev. J. H. Bradford will preach here four times each month, viz.: on the second Sunday at 11:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.; third Sunday at 6:30 p.m., and fourth Sunday at 6:30 p.m.

We make our politest bow to Misses Venia Twiggs and Ida Cox for a kind invitation to attend a "party" at Gassville on last Wednesday night, and regret that we could not attend.

Mr. C. J. Swafford, of Valley Springs, commenced teaching a writing school at the public school house on last Monday night. He has a very good class and is giving satisfaction.

The meanest man we know of is the on who will read a newspaper for over six months and then order it discontinued without offering to pay for it. He is mean enough to graze a goat on his grandmother's grave.

The parsonage came very near being destroyed by fire on Monday night. Between 10 and 11 o'clock, Dora Reed, noticed the fire and gave the alarm. By prompt action and hard work the flames were extinguished. The fire caught from a stove pipe in a small bedroom. Mr. Bradford was out in the country, but Mrs. B. and children were at home.

Mr. A. C. Briggs has bought Geo. Wickersham's blacksmith shop and tools, and Briggs & Campbell will run the shop hereafter. The Echo wishes them success.

Drs. Bryan and Coker attended the District Medical Society which met at Gassville on last Wednesday. They report a very interesting meeting, although attendance was small.

MARRIED - At the residence of the bride's father, Mr. Wm. A. Sims, on Thursday, December 15, 1887, Mr. Robert Doshier to Miss Martha A. Sims, Rev. J. H. Bradford officiating.

We learn that the Gassville party was a failure owing to the stern Professor who has charge of the school at that place. He prohibited his students attending thus breaking up the frolic. Cam Berry and Dr. Bryan, who went over expecting a splendid time with the girls, have our sincerest sympathy.

The many friends of Wallie Berry will be glad to learn of the appointment as private secretary to Senator Berry. Wallie is well qualified for the position and we bespeak for him greater honors in the future. He has already entered upon his duties, and that he will perform them faithfully and efficiently we have no doubt. The Senator could not have made a better selection.

Mr. S. L. Wiggins dead. Mr. Sebran L. Wiggins died at his residence on last Saturday, December 10, 1887, at about 12:30 p.m. and was buried on Sunday evening at the Tutt graveyard. He was at work at the zinc mine when he was first taken sick, and was brought home. His sickness, it is supposed, was caused by exposure while at the mines. Dr. Wilson, who attended him, pronounced his disease typhoid-pneumonia. Mr. Wiggins was about 58 years of age. He came from Georgia to this state many years ago and was well known all over the county. He was of a lively social disposition and made many friends who will regret to learn of his death. He leaves a widow and several children to mourn his death.

VALLEY SPRINGS [Dec. 18, 18877]

James Johnson, the young man that was very sick with pneumonia last week, I am proud to say, is convalescent. He will probably be able to enter school again after Christmas.


C. Lawhorn and family have moved to Marion county, near Monark.

T. J. Smith, of Monark, returned last week from Memphis, with a fresh stock of general merchandise.

A report from Elixir by telephone, says that Mr. Grigsby, a miner, met with an accident, which may cost him his life. While working at the bottom of a shaft, a large rock fell from the top, striking him on the head and shoulders. He was taken out senseless and a physician sent for, but he will not recover.

HARRISON HASH [Times 10th. Inst.]

Cul Garrett and Grant Wagoner were the two men killed in the Carroll county ruckus last week.

       Mrs. Ellen S. Layton, our beloved mother, aged 72 years, passed away peacefully and triumphantly in the faith of the Gospel, after a brief, but severe, illness of ten days, December 3rd, 1887.
       She was a native of Virginia. We do not know the exact time of her conversion, but she was converted when young. Her experience of the fact was clear and strong. Her friendship was strong and true; no sacrifice seemed too great for the interest of her friends. Her faithful discharge of duty in every relation of life proclaimed the genuineness of her faith and love. She seemed to live only for her little grandchildren, and her aged fingers were ever busy fashioning something for them; and it was her delight to teach them their Sunday school lessons.        Though the summons came suddenly, yet she was perfectly ready, and sang one verse of the old familiar hymn: "Oh! Sing to me of Heaven." She was deeply concerned for her son, who she knew was not converted and prepared to meet her in Heaven. Her life was clouded by many heart rending sorrows. she was indeed a suffering child of earth, but in her afflictions she would say, "Whom the Lord Loveth, He chasneth," and one moment in Glory will repay me for all I suffer here. We laid her to rest by the side of the husband she loved so well, and whose memory she cherished so dearly, to await the summons of the Master when He commeth to make upon his jewels. May God direct every member of the family to that life and death which will reunite them to father and mother in the Father's house above, and may we look beyond tears to the tearless home of the good, where God shall wipe all tears from our eyes. [poem by Sue Layton not transcribed.]

December 23, 1887 Issue (Top)

A young man well known in Marion county, sends a warning to others. Jefferson City, Missouri, December 15, 1887.
       EDITOR ECHO - Thinking a few words from me for the benefit of some who may peruse the pages of your excellent little paper, would not be entirely unwelcome, I write the following, and hope you will allow me space in your columns for my letter.
       First, I will speak of my parents and the days of my youth. My parents were strict members of the Presbyterian church, and every Sunday morning we prepared ourselves for Sunday school and church. Father and mother would always accompany us. When we returned home we were given a book - generally the Bible - which we studied most of the remaining part of the day. I was taught from my earliest recollection to shun all appearance of evil; was never allowed to loiter around town at any time, nor to lounge about the creek bank on Sundays.        Seven years ago my father died. I was 15 years old, and at that time I had never swore an oath nor played a game of cards. For sometime after the death of my father I remained at home, obeyed my mother, and everything moved on as before. Our father left us a good home, and I often think how different things might have been now had I gone on and done as I had been taught. But time passed on, I was more that 16 years old, and like most of boys at that age, thought I knew entirely too much and was too large - too near a man - to obey and adhere to the advice of anyone, even a mother. I would go to town pretty often. Sometimes I would stay all day, and perhaps part of the night. I soon began to learn to play cards, and very frequently someone of us would have with us "something to take," and we would rarely fail, any of us to "take our share."
       I remember my first game of cards as if it only had been yesterday. There were four of us on the way to church - for no good purpose of course, and not more than 50 yards from the church house door, someone proposed to "have a game." We were soon all seated and our game began, but as I knew nothing about playing, the game soon ended. From this I became anxious to learn, and rarely lost an opportunity of gaining some knowledge of the game. I soon began to think I could play a pretty good game; wasn't afraid to bet a little that I could beat. My visits to town became more frequent. I would walk off from home, my mother begging me to stay away from town, especially at night, warning me that if I continued in this way, the end would be my ruin.
       Finally I commenced selling whiskey. In this I violated the law, for I had no license; and knowing that I would be indicted, and not being able to pay my fines, I left home. I took as my associates gamblers, whiskey dealers and drinkers, bad women, etc., and was soon selling liquor again. One day there was some men come in and got on a regular "tare," and getting too "full" to leave, they remained at the "grocery" until about 9 o'clock in the night. One of these ladies(?), myself and several others were in the "grocery" until they left. Next morning it was reported that one of them had lost his money. There had been a crime committed; by whom, no one knew. Three or four weeks passed. The girl was arrested, and the next news I received was that she had told I was the guilty party, and that the sheriff was after me. I was arrested also, and to make a long story sort, I am suffering the confinement and disgraces of a prison for committing this crime. To show the reliability of her stories, I will state, as brief as possible, one of them. Shortly after she had been before the grand jury and swore that I was guilty. There was one of the grand jurymen who had a conversation with her, and in this conversation he asked her if what she had told was true, her answer being, "No, it was not; it is every word a lie." This man's name is William Holt, of Isabella, Mo., and is one of Ozark county's best citizens. But the fact that I was present and had an opportunity to do the mischief, seemed to be sufficient proof against me. There were others, too, who I thought to be my friends, who made themselves very conspicuous in the affair; pardon me for saying, they had the impudence of old "Nick" - could double discount him on lying and give him points. These "friends" were friends indeed so long as one has a little cash ahead and is out of trouble but can get into trouble, your "stamps" nearly exhausted, and see where your "friends" are. Always the first to cry you down.
       In conclusion, I would say to those who may read this, who are pursuing this road that leads invariably to ruin, Stop! before, like me, you are too late; before you are locked inside the walls of a prison. Stop! before you have broken a mother's heart, or, perchance, have caused long hours of sorrow to a wife, and by your own folly caused shame and disgrace to follow you to your grave. Truly hoping someone may profit by my sad fate, I bid you a kind adieu. Respectfully, Robt. Jefferson.


Mrs. John Longbran, of Hot Springs, died at that city Sunday night of rabies. Six weeks ago she was bitten by a large mad dog while gravely defending her children which the dog had attacked.


Mrs. J. B. Wilson is visiting her sister, Mrs. Dr. Hart, in Baxter county.

Mr. DeRoose Bailey and wife arrived from Marshall Thursday and will spend the holidays with their Yellville friends.

J. C. Floyd, Esq., returned yesterday from Marshall, where he has been for the past week on professional business.

Hiram Hankins, while chopping wood for Dr. Wilson the other day, came near cutting off one of his toes. His wound is quite painful.

The Echo will be issued on the half shell next week, for the first time since its establishment. It is a time honored custom for printers to take holiday, and we propose to half way take advantage of the custom. We issue the half sheet only for the benefit of the legal advertisements which are bound to run, Christmas or no Christmas.

Mr. and Mrs. Jones and son, late of Searcy where they taught music, arrived in town the first of the week and are trying to get up a music class here. Mr. Jones and his wife are both blind, and are no doubt very deserving people. On next Monday night, the weather permitting, they will give a concert at the school house. Go out and hear them.

On the front page we published a letter from Robert Jefferson, who is now serving out a term in the Missouri penitentiary. Robert Jefferson received good training and was well qualified for most any business, but bad company got him into bad trouble. He tells his own story and admonishes others, who may be following in his footsteps, to call a halt before it is too late. His letter will be found quite interesting to those who know him.

The results of whisky. A young man by the name of Billy Smith, whose parents live in the Cowan barrens, was found dead at the residence of Lafayette Humphries, who lives in Buffalo township, on last Tuesday morning about 4 o'clock. Young Smith and some companions had been drinking pretty freely Monday, and Smith, not being accustomed to drinking, became intoxicated. He laid down on the floor in Mr. Humphries' home and went to sleep. The other inmates of the house retired, leaving young Smith undisturbed on the floor. About 4 o'clock next morning it was discovered that the young man was dead. It is supposed that his death was caused by the whiskey as he drank quite freely and was unused to drinking.


Louis Perry is very anxious to get his house up. He first gave the job to F. A. Horn and his father-in-law, Mr. Tidwell, but he thought they were getting along too slow, so he gave the job to Capt. Stone, but has since returned it to Horn and Tidwell.

Some of our neighbors are very low with fever, among them are Dott Bogle and his wife. Mollie Brooksher has been very sick, but we are glad to know she is convalescent.


Since our last communication, Dr. Gulledge, of the Indian Nation, was married to Miss Belle Williams, one of the most lovable of women. Beautiful, happy, joyous, ever and singularly kindhearted, she is one of earth's brightest jewels and most eminently fitted to be the wife of so noble a man as is her husband. Your correspondent adds his own heartfelt good wishes to all that have been showered upon the happy pair. May their clouds of sorrow shed forth upon them only the gentle dews of Heavenly blessings, and after many, many bright years basking together in life's sunshine, may they enter the portals of Glory where eyes are never dimmed by death, and where love never grows old. W.B.F., Jr.

December 30, 1887 [half issue] (Top)


Prof. Jones' school will commence next Monday.

John Weast "took the cake" at the Christmas tree.

Neal Dodd returned from St. Louis Wednesday evening.

Sheriff Keeter will commence collecting taxes on January 6th.

Mr. J. J. Covington, of Baxter county, is visiting his sons at this place.

We would like to know what use our friend Ben Weast has for a pair of extra long black stockings.

Don't go "kicking" about this half sheet, for it is the first one we have issued, and we hope it is the last.

F. M. Smith and Miss Charity Warner, both of Bearden township, were married yesterday at the residence of Henry McCabe of this place by A. J. Noe, J. P.

The sheriff, assisted by George Lawson, maid a raid on "blind tiger" out south of town the first of the week. The "tiger" made its escape, but enough liquor to "wet their whistles" was captured by the officers.

Cam Berry and "ye editor" partook of a sumptuous Christmas dinner at the residence of Mrs. Winfield, who lives on the Harrison Road, about two miles west of Clear creek. We are under many obligations to both the good lady who prepared the dinner and to our friend, Alex. Davis, who was so thoughtful as to invite us to share the excellent meal.


One of the grandest balls of the season was given at the residence of J. W. Williams on the night of the 27th inst. Always cheerful and happy, peace and good will went hand in hand and pleasure runs riot.

Dr. Scott left his wife last week and ran away with Mrs. Mollie Sutton. It is hoped that he will go to Yubadam, or so far that he will not come back here again, as this is the second time that this "masher" has left his wife and run off with another woman. It is said that Mrs. Scott is a lady, and by far too good for Scott. W. B. F., Jr.

Dividing Line

Previous          Next

Top of Page
Return to Newspapers Index Page
Return to Marion Co Home Page

Linda Haas Davenport