Marion Co TOC
Graphics by Rhio
By: Mrs. Glenn (Bernice Adams) Johnson
The town was named for the Flippins. W. B. Flippin was the grandfather of Mrs. Stella Flippin Wood and Oscar Flippin, both members of the congregation of the Flippin Christian Church.
Meetings were held in homes, brush arbors and the schoolhouse located near the Marion County Airport, until 1903 when a Union Church was built and used by all congregations of the town until the 1920's.
In January 1924 lots 12, 13, 14, and 15 were purchased from E. B. and Ida Wood. The lots were recorded January 15, 1924, by Joe Deatherage, minister in charge. Work was started on the building with Bob Tate of Cotter as foreman. Most of the material and labor was donated. The building, made of cobblestone, had one large room and was finished in 1925 or early 1926. Those donating were the families of W. N. Christian, I. P. Rose, W. P. Henry, Rex McCracken, Johnny and Willie Lynch, Charley Smith, Jessie Morris, Ed Parnell, Edward and Walter Wooten, W. E. and Ran Rose, Bob Noe, V. M. Phillips, J. H. and Harrison Poynter, Raleigh Matthews, Charley Brown, Nels Miller, Joe and Johnnie McCracken, Elbert Butler, George Billings, F. S. and W. J. (Bill) Rorie, E. L. Huddleston, E. C. McBee, W. H. Gibson, G. G. Parrett, Seth Matthews, Haskel Smith, Will Sisk, James, Roy and Oscar Flippin and others. (Named by V. M. Phillips.) The active Ladies Aid raised money by quilting and serving meals.
In 1930 came the depression with the closing of the banks. The church had a note for $700. W. N. Christian and I. P. Rose cleared the indebtedness by trading some of their bank money for the payment.
Bible School was held regularly with church services when possible, as the church had no full-time minister. Those preaching were: J. A. Rose -1900's; G. G. Parrott, Sr., and A. G. Hollowell-1931-1932; J. E. Chase, Kenneth Holsinger, Burton Barber, G. B. Keeter, H. H. Patrick and W. H. Flippin. (Ministers named by V. M. Phillips.)
In 1944-48, the church began to have regular services with ministers F. H. (Jake) Jacobsen and G. B. Keeter. The inside of the church building was plastered, new pews were purchased, a parsonage was built, and Ralph Culler was called as full-time minister (1948-49). In 1950 Harold Davis was minister, followed by Bob Glover in 1951, R. W. Emerson in 1952 and W. L. Lodwig 1953-54.
(Page 499 Top) In 1952 the first addition to the church building was made-four Sunday School rooms and a basement.
A. Z. Matthews was minister in 1955-1956. The parsonage in Flippin Heights was sold and lots 7, 8, 9 and 10 in block 11 were bought from Bell Strauss. A parsonage was completed and dedicated in- October 1956 with Faust Matthews in charge. Lots 31 through 38 of block 11 were purchased from Dan Cornell. In 1974 Mrs. Seth Hurst gave the church lot 28 of block 11.
The minister in 1957 was John Frees; Lindell Winners in 1958-1959; M. L. Jeffers 1960; Keith Goddard 1961; F. Eldon King 1962. At this time lot 11 of block 11 was bought from Freddie Strauss. (The lot was between the church building and the parsonage. The church had been trying to buy it for some time, but the price was too high until Freddie fenced the lot for goats. The church paid the price.) Three classrooms, a Pastor's study, and the baptistry were added. The Fellowship Hall was enlarged. Jimmy Warwick was minister in 1968, followed by Wayne Shaw in 1969, who left to go to Liberia, South Africa, as a Missionary.
Robert Trosper became the minister in 1971 and was with the church until early 1976. The present minister is Ray Phelps.
Two young men have gone into full-time Christian ministry from this congregation-Donald B. Ott - 1968 and Wayne Shaw - 1970.
1976 Elders are: W. M. Linck, Tom Hudson, Glenn Johnson, Rex Wood, Boyd Williams, Charles Ott and Hal Johnson. The Deacons are R. L. McVey, Frank Carrico, Fibert Huddleston, Ambrose Pilgrim, Ralph Blomquist, Lyle Scheuerman, Max Wilbanks and Don Treat.
Mrs. Glenn (Bernice Adams) Johnson, who compiled this report, has been church pianist since 1943. Mention of two ministers must be made who have meant so much to the congregation at Flippin-G. B. Keeter and H. H. Patrick. These two always had time to advise, comfort and encourage all who called on them. They served well for their Lord.
References were taken from old church records, interviews and family histories and W. R. Jones' History of Marion County.
"Soon after 1800, several white settlers came into the section that later became Yellville and its environs. The first white settlers, who were mainly hunters and trappers, did not have church services. Later, when they began to go back to Tennessee, Kentucky and other states, they brought their families back and first held services in their homes. A bit later, rude log huts were built for school houses. However, schools were held for only very short terms; consequently, the rest of the time the buildings were used by all faiths for church services and community buildings. Many of the early settlers were members of the Christian Church. Today, what is known as Churches of Christ and Independent Christian Churches were known as Christian Churches." This information is taken from Goodspeed's Reminiscent History of the Ozark Region.