Towns & Communities

Jefferson county was formed 2 Nov 1829 from the counties of Arkansas and Pulaski. It was later the parent county of Grant county in 1869, Lincoln Co. in 1871 and Dorsey (Cleveland Co.) in 1873.


Here is a list of Jefferson County’s Towns, Township, Communities & Post Offices. Any additional information or pictures are always welcome.

Adamsburgh

The Adamsburgh Post Office was Created in 1870; and discontinued in 1877.

Altheimer

The city of Altheimer is located near the Arkansas River northeast of Pine Bluff. The community was created as a railroad town on the Cotten Belt Railroad.  The City is named for the City founder, Louis Altheimer and was founded in 1884.

The Altheimer Post Office was Created in 1885 ; and unknown discontinued date.

Anrep

The Anrep Post Office was created in 1918; and discontinued in 1927.

Astor

The Astor Post Office was created in 1881; and discontinued in 1883.

Bankhead

The Bankhead Post Office was created in 1877; and discontinued in 1908.  

Banyon Township

Banyon was created between 1860 and 1870 from parts of Barraque Township.

Barraque Township

Barraque was created between 1850 and 1860. A portion of Barraque became a part of Grant County in 1869. A portion became a part of Jefferson after 1880.

Bartholomew Township

Bartholomew was created between 1830 and 1840. Became part of Lincoln County in 1871.

Bellville

The Bellville Post Office was created in 1875; and discontinued in 1879.

Bogy Township

Bogy Township was created between 1850 and 1860.

Bolivar Township

Boliver was Bogy was was created between 1830 and 1840.

Brook's

The Brook’s Post Office was created in 1859; and discontinued in 1866.

Brookside

The Brookside Post Office was created in 1901; and discontinued in 1905.

Byrd’s Springs

The Byrd’s Springs Post Office was created in 1857; and discontinued in 1872.

Camp Creek

The Camp Creek Post Office was created in 1850; and discontinued in 1859.


Carson

The Carson Post Office was created in 1868; and discontinued in 1879. 

Cooper's Landing

The Cooper’s Landing Post Office was created in 1872; and discontinued in 1879.

Cornerstone

The Post Office was created in 1886; and discontinued in 1930. 

Cotton Center

The Cotten Center Post Office was created in 1878; and discontinued in 1887.

Cottonwood

The Cottonwood Post Office was created in 1849 ; and discontinued in 1849.

Darysaw (Derriseaux) Township

Darysaw Township was created between 1840 and 1850. Darysaw became a part of Grant County in 1869.


Dexter

The Dexter Post Office was created in 1882; and discontinued in 1912. 

Diantha

The Post Office was created in 1915; and discontinued in 1929.

Double Wells

The Double Wells Post Office was created in 1871; and discontinued in 1930.

Doylestown

The Doylestown Post Office was created in 1914; and discontinued in 1936.

Dudley Lake Township

Dudley Lake was created between 1850 and 1860.

Dugan's Landing

The Dugan’s Landing Post Office was created in 1849; and discontinued in 1850.

Dunnington Township

Dunnington was created between 1870 and 1880. A portion of Dunnington became Roberts Township after 1880.

Eastwood

The Eastwood Post Office was created in 1903; and was discontinued in 1907.

Edwards

The Edwards Post Office was created in 1878; and was discontinued in 1879.

Egypt

The Egypt Post Office was created in 1856; and was discontinued in 1859.

Elerson

The Elerson Post Office was created in 1892; and was discontinued in 1929.

English

The English Post Office was created in 1886; and was discontinued in 1930.

Fair Bluff

The Fair Bluff Post Office was created in 1860; and was discontinued in 1860.

Fair Dale

The Fair Dale Post Office was created in 1858; and was discontinued in 1869.

Fairfield

The Fairfield Post Office was created in 1878; and was discontinued in 1915.

Faith

The Faith Post Office was created in 1888; and was discontinued in 1931.

Ferda

The Ferda Post Office was created in 1908; and was discontinued in 1943.

Fivefork

The Fivefork Post Office was created in 1901; and was discontinued in 1902.

Flat Bayou

The first Flat Bayou Post Office was created in 1857; and was discontinued in 1878. The second Flat Bayou Post Office was created in 1881; and was discontinued in 1886.

Garretson

The Post Office was created in 1898; and was discontinued in 1921.

Garretson's Landing

The Garretson’s Landing, Post Office was created in 1866; and was discontinued in 1894.

Gethsamane

The Gethsamane Post Office was created in 1898; and was discontinued in 1929.

Greely

The Post Office was created in 1881; and was discontinued in 1897.

Greenback

The Greenback Post Office was created in 1869; and was discontinued in 1892.

Greer

The Greer Post Office was created in 1884; and was discontinued in 1910.

Hannaberry

The Hannaberry Post Office was created in 1896; and was discontinued in 1921.

Haywood

The Haywood Post Office was created in 1910; and was discontinued in 1912.

Hockers

The Hockers Post Office was created in 1877; and was discontinued in 1886.

Hoodsville

Hoodsville Township was created between 1840 and 1850. There is some debate to if Hoodsville was a Town or a Township. The Hoodsville Post Office was created in 1850; and discontinued in 1850.

Humphrey

Humphrey is a town located close to Pine Bluff. 

Jefferson

The Jefferson Post Office was created in 1881; and the date it was discontinued is unavailable. 

Kearney

The Kearney Post Office was created in 1888; and was discontinued in 1912.

Ladd

The Ladd Post Office was created in 1897; and was discontinued in 1907.

Lake Dick

The Lake Dick Post Office was created in 1900; and discontinued in 1945. Lake Dick is an unicorporated area located four miles south of Altheimer, and northeast of Pine Bluff.

The community was created on the shores of Lake Dick in 1936, as a New Deal program that supported farming projects. Most of the structures was built by the Resettlement Administration and some 80 families from throughout Arkansas was relocated to the area. Lake Dick was created as a cooperative farming project and the families jointly participated in the production of crops on the community farmland; based upon predetermine schedules.

The community of Lake Dick was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and over one-third of the original structures are still in place today. 

Lake Farm

The Lake Farm Post Office was created in 1889; and was discontinued in 1895.

Lakefarm

The Lakefarm Post Office was created in 1895; and was discontinued in 1918.

Langford

The Post Office was created in 1902; and was discontinued in 1920.

Leander

The Leander Post Office was created in 1880; and was discontinued in 1881.

Lehi

Lehi appears on the 1855 Map of Jefferson  County. No additional Information has been located.


Linwood

The Post Office was created in 1874; and was discontinued in 1905.

Locust Cottage

The Locust Cottage Post Office was created in 1855; and was discontinued in 1924.

Loomis

The Loomis Post Office was created in 1891; and was discontinued in 1892.

Luzon

The Luzon Post Office was created in 1899; and was discontinued in 1900.

Macon

The Macon Post Office was created in 1884; and was discontinued in 1892.

Madding

The Madding Post Office was created in 1888; and was discontinued in 1929.

McGrew

The McGrew Post Office was created in 1908; and was discontinued in 1911.

McKenzies

The McKenzies Post Office was created in 1876; and was discontinued in 1877.

Melton Township

Melton was created between 1860 and 1870. The Melton Post Office was created in 1868; and discontinued in 1877. 

Mentor

The Mentor Post Office was created in 1881; and was discontinued in 1882.

Monday

The Monday Post Office was created in 1855; and was discontinued in 1859.

Moscow

The Moscow Post Office was created in 1905; and the date it was discontinued is unavailable. 

Moten

The Moten Post Office was created in1918; and was discontinued in 1935.

Mulberry Grove

The Mulberry Grove Post Office was created in 1866; and was discontinued in 1868.

Natick

The Natick Post Office was created in 1887; and was discontinued in 1888.

New Gascony

The first New Gascony Post Office was created in 1832; and discontinued in 1866. The second New Gascony Post Office was created in 1868; and discontinued in 1869. The third New Gascony Post Office was created in 1869; and discontinued in  1929.

Niven Township

Niven Township was organized after 1880.

Nobles

The Nobles Post Office was created in 1895; and was discontinued in 1900.

Nobles Lake

The Nobles Lake Post Office was created in 1900; and was discontinued in 1909.

Noble’s Lake

The Noble’s Lake Post Office was created in 1873; and was discontinued in 1895.

Nubia

The Nubia Post Office was created in 1885; and was discontinued in 1896.

Oak Park Sta.

The Oak Park Station Post Office was created date is unknown; and the date it was discontinued is unavailable. 

Oakville

The Oakville Post Office was created in 1869; and was discontinued in 1881.

Old River Township

Old River was created between 1880 and 1890 from a portion of Arkansas County.

Pastoria Township

Pastoria Township was created between 1870 and 1880. The Pastoria Post Office was created in 1854; and was discontinued in 1917.

Peach Grove

The Peach Grove Post Office was created in 1855; and was discontinued in 1859.

Pearl

The Pearl Post Office was created in 1899; and was discontinued in 1906.

Pine Bluff

Pine Bluff was first settled by an european in 1819 by Joseph Boone and his wife Mary. Before that time, the area was home to the indigous Indian population. The area Joseph and his wife settled was the first bluff five miles upstream of the Boone Resveration, overlooking the Arkansas River. At the time, the area was covered in Pine Trees and afforded some protection against flooding. The settlement was officially named “The Town of Pine Bluff” by the county court on 16 October 1832.

The Post Office was created in 1828; and the date it was discontinued is unavailable. 

Piney Grove

The Piney Grove Post Office was created in 1873; and was discontinued in 1877.

Plum Bayou


Plum Bayou was created between 1840 and 1850. The Plum Bayou Post Office was created in 1843; and discontinued in 1949. 

Racine

The Racine Post Office was created in 1877; and was discontinued in 1886.

Rainey

The Rainey Post Office was created in 1881; and was discontinued in 1892.

Red Bluff

The Red Bluff Post Office was created in 1869; and was discontinued in 1892. 

Redfield

Redfield was named after the President of the Little Rock, Mississippi River and Texas Railway; Jared Redfield. The settlement started out as a station on the rail line, and grew to become a town.  Redfield in located in Barraque Township; about 25 miles southeast of Little Rock.  Redfield was found by James Brodie and incorporated on 18 October 1898.

Reed

The Reed Post Office was created in 1877; and was discontinued in 1878.

Reeves Landing

The Reeves Landing Post Office was created in 1870; and was discontinued in 1873.

Reform

The Reform Post Office was created in 1870; and was discontinued in 1877.

Reydel

The Reydel Post Office was created in 1899; and was discontinued in 1930.

Reydell

The Reydell Post Office was created in 1842; and the date it was discontinued is unavailable. 

Richland Township

Richland Township was created in 1830. Richland was one the first Townships created when Jefferson County was formed. The first Richland Post Office was created in 1839; and discontinued in 1866. The second Richland Post Office was created in 1866; and discontinued in 1869.


Rob Roy

1855 Map of Jefferson Co.

The Rob Roy Post Office was created in 1850; and discontinued in 1895.


Roberts Township

Roberts Township was created after 1880 from parts of Dunnington Township.

Robroy

The Robroy Post Office was created in 1895; and was discontinued in 1926.

Ruth

The Ruth Post Office was created in 1882; and was discontinued in 1885.

Rutledge

The Post Office was created in 1873; and was discontinued in 1874.

Saint Marys

The Saint Marys Post Office was created in 1839; and was discontinued in 1843.

Sherrill

The Sherrill Post Office was created in 1901; and the date it was discontinued is unavailable. Sherrill is a small town in Jefferson County; located north of Pine Bluff.

Simpson Township

Simpson was was created between 1850 and 1860. Simpson became a part of Grant County in 1869.

Skinner

The Post Office was created in 1901; and was discontinued in 1914. 

Sleeth

The Sleeth Post Office was created in 1881; and was discontinued in 1884.

Smart

The Post Office was created in 1881; and was discontinued in 1884.

Spring Township

Spring was created between 1870 and 1880.

Straw Hat

The Straw Hat Post Office was created in 1852; and discontinued in 1853.


Swan Lake

The first Swan Lake Post Office was created in 1851; and was discontinued in 1886. The Swan Lake Post Office was created in 1887; and was discontinued in 1923.

Sweden

The Sweden Post Office was created in 1900; and was discontinued in 1925.

Talladage Township

Talladage Township was created between 1840 and 1850.

Tamo

The Tamo Post Office was created in 1900; and was discontinued in 1967.

Tamo Rur. Sta.

The Post Office was created in 1968; and the date it was discontinued is unavailable. 

Toronto

The Toronto Post Office was created in 1871; and was discontinued in 1899.

Tucker

The Tucker Post Office was created in 1892; and the date it was discontinued is unavailable. 

Tyrone

The Tyrone Post Office was created in 1892; and was discontinued in 1900.

Vaugine (Vaughn) Township

Vaugine Township was created in 1830. Vaugine was one of the original Townships created when Jefferson County, was formed. The Vaugine Post Office was created in 1825; and was discontinued in 1828.

Victoria Township

Victoria was created between 1860 and 1870. The Victoria Post Office was created in 1868; and was discontinued in 1873.

Villemont Township

Villemont was created between 1880 and 1890 from a portion of Arkansas County.

Wabbaseka

The Wabbaseka Post Office was created in 1883; and the date it was discontinued is unavailable. 

Waldstein

The Waldstein Post Office was created in 1912; and was discontinued in 1927.

Washington Township

Washington was was created between 1850 and 1860. Became a part of Grant County in 1869.

Waterseky

The Post Office was created in 1858; and was discontinued in 1860.

Watts

The Watts Post Office was created in 1886; and was discontinued in 1888.


White Bluff

The White Bluff Post Office was created in 1854; and was discontinued in 1884.

White Hall

The city of White Hall was incorporated in 1964. It is said that White Hall was named after the color of a early Church building that was erected for travelers to the area to rest and recourperate while enjoying the near by natural springs. White Hall was at one time known as Grenshaw Springs and Grenshaw Hall Springs.


White Oak Township

White Oak Township was created between 1840 and 1850.

White Sulphur Springs

The White Sulphur Springs Post Office was created in 1855; and was discontinued in 1878. The orginal name of the community, was called Sulphur Springs, but the name was already taken, so the residents renamed it to White Sulphur Springs. The first settles of the area was the family of George Brummitt around 1844. During that year, much of the low lying areas around there had been flooded and this area was very hilly and wasn’t effected by the flood waters.

During the Civil War, White Sulphur Springs became a staging and training area for troops in the Pine Bluff unit. The Confederate Hospital was moved to White Sulphur Springs from Pine Bluff in 1862, and many died and were buried in the

Whiteville Township

Whiteville was was created between 1850 and 1860.

Wightman’s Mills

The Wrightman’s Mills Post Office was created in 1867; and was discontinued in 1867.

Williamette

The Williamette Post Office was created in 1872; and was discontinued in 1907.

Windom

The Windom Post Office was created in 1893; and was discontinued in 1895.

Wright

The Wright Post Office was created in 1938; and the date it was discontinued is unavailable. 

© Jamila Sloan Barahona 2015