Marion County, AR - 1900s Obituaries


CLAUD, DYER, MCCARGAR posted by Mt Echo Newspaper on Thursday, December 8, 1921

Mt. Echo Newspaper: Mr. DYER after a protracted illness, died at the Mossman hotel Tuesday morning. He was buried Wednesday at 2 o'clock in the Layton cemetery. Rev. I. L. CLAUD conducting funeral services. Mr. DYER was an uncle of Mrs. J. D. MCCARGAR who was at his bed side when the end came.

DYER, MCCARGAR posted by Mt Echo Newspaper on Thursday, December 15, 1921

Mrs. D. J. MCCARGAR will leave this week for her old home at Providence, Rhode Island. She was married about three years ago to Mr. D. J. MCCARGAR of Rush, who was engaged in the mining business. Shortly after her marriage her aged uncle Mr. John DYER of California, came to live with them. A few months ago her husband died and she then rented rooms at the Mossman house in this town, where she and her uncle lived until last week, when he died and she being left alone, decided to return to her old home. She made many friends while here in Yellville who sympathize with her in her sorrows, and whose best wishes go with her to Providence, Rhode Island.

HALL, OWENS posted by Gary D Treat on Thursday, May 4, 1922

Mountain Echo, Yellville, AR 4 May 1922 Miss Laura HALL On Thursday evening of last week, after having been confined to her bed for about four weeks, Miss Laura HALL passed away at the home of her mother in this town, of tuberculosis. Miss Laura had been night operator in the central telephone office of the Southwestern Bell Telephone Co for the past year or so. While she had not been strong, no one suspected that her physical condition was serious. About four weeks ago she became ill and a doctor was summoned, and while all was done that could be done, the end came quickly. During the time she was night operator she was always accommodating and courteous to the patrons of the office, and thereby made friends of them, and they were sorry when they heard of her death. Friday morning the remains were conveyed to the Ott graveyard about fifteen miles southeast of Yellville and laid to rest. Rev Henry OWENS conducted funeral services at the grave. She leaves a mother, several sisters and a brother to mourn her untimely death, all of wh! om have the sympathies of their many friends.

GOFF, WEAST posted by Georgia Harter Williams on Thursday, May 28, 1925

Obituary of John GOFF in the Mountain Echo 28 May 1925. A Good Citizen Gone. On Thursday of last week Mr. John GOFF, who had been in poor health for the past several years, passed from this life, at his home in Flippin Barrens. About three years ago Mr. Goff suffered a stroke of paralysis from which he never recovered, but was able much of the time to be up and go around the place. On Wednesday of last week he suffered another stroke, and Dr. WEAST was called and remained with him most of the evening, but he never rallied, and death relieved him of his suffering on Thursday. His body was laid to rest Friday in the Flippin cemetery in the presence of a large concourse of sorrowing relatives and friends. In his death Flippin Barrens has lost one of her best, most loyal citizens, and his many friends extend heartfelt sympathies to the bereaved family.

BERRY, COWDREY, ESTES, GOAD, GOLDSBY, HIGHT, PINKSTON posted by Rhio Reh Gillis on Saturday, October 3, 1925

Thurman COWDREY Meets Tragic Death Fell From Scaffold While Wiring Building To Concrete Floor And Sustained Injuries Which Resulted In His Death Kirby Thurman COWDREY d. October 03, 1925, Burbank, OK On last Saturday morning about nine o'clock while wiring a building in Burbank, Okla. Thurman COWDREY fell from the scaffolding to the concrete floor, a distance of about seven feet and sustained injuries from which he died about one o'clock that afternoon. He was conscious for a few minutes after he was picked up, but soon sank into unconscioussness, and was rushed to the hospital at Fairfax, a few miles away where everything that human skill could do, was done, to stay the hand of death, but to no avail - death relieved him of his suffering about the hour named above. As to what caused him to all, is only conjecture. We understand that he had been suffering, at intervals, for a few days with indigestion pains under the heart, and it is thought he might have suffered an attack of those pains which stunned him for a minute, and he lost his balance and fell to the floor. His parents, Mr. And Mrs. J. A. COWDREY, and his brothers, Cam and Allen, and his sister, Miss Eva, of this place were notified at once of the tragedy, and only those who have received such notices can realize the heartache it caused - for a time, life to them was as dark as midnight - there was no ray of light or hope. In an instant death had entered two homes. In the far away town in Okalahoma his companion was left a widow; his three little daughters were made fatherless. In his parents home in Yellville there was a vacancy that never can be filled. Mrs. Clarence HIGHT, Mrs COWDREY'S sister, and her husband in Fayettville were notified of the death, and they wired relatives here that they were leaving at once by auto for Burbank. They arrived there early Sunday morning. The Masonic fraternity in Burbank, of which Mr. COWDREY was a member, took charge of the body and had it propared for burial, and looked after the funeral arrangements. Early Sunday morning the body was conveyed to the church in Burbank, where a short Masonic and religious service was held, after which the body was conveyed to the railway station and put aboard the train in charge of H.G. GOAD , a brother Mason and friend of Mr. COWDREY, and the journey to Yellville, his old home town, wasbegun. It arrived here on the 1:20 train, Monday. Mrs. COWDREY and her three daughters, Janice, Kathleen, and Billy, accompanied by Troy COWDREY, Thurman's brother and his family, Mr. And Mrs. T. J. PINKSTON Lucian Layton, Miss Ethel GOLDSBY, all of Burbank, and Mr. and Mrs. Clarence HIGHT of Fayettville, came through in autos, arriving here about four o'clock Monday afternoon. A committee appointed by the Master of the Masonic lodge in Yellville, met the train at Zinc and accompanied the body t the station at Yellville where a large delegation of Thurmans's friends and friends of the family met them. The body was taken to the home of his father where it laid in state until 2:30 Tuesday evening when a short funeral service conducted by the Reverends YATES and PEPPERS, was conducted at the home, after which the Masonic order took charge of the body and it was conveyed to the Layton cemetery where it was laid to rest with Masonic honors in the presence of a host of sorrowing friends and relatives. In his Death we are reminded of the fact that life is filled with tragedies, and that no one knows when the had of death will be laid upon them.. Thurman was born and reared in Yellville, and received his education in the public and high school in this town. In 1912 he was married to Miss Alsie BERRY, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. BERRY of this town. They had known each other from infancy. To this union three children were born, Janice, Kathleen and Billy. Several years ago they moved to Oklahoma where Mr. COWDREY was engaged in the telephone business and at the time of his death he owned the Burbank telephone exchange and was getting along nicely, and making plans for the future, but "the loved and loving son, brother, husband, father, and friend, met heath where manhood's morning almost touched noon, and while the shadows still were falling toward the west, " for he was only in his thirty-eighth year. The Echo joins the many friends of the family in extending to them heart-felt sympathies in the great sorrow. The large funeral procession that followed the remains of Thurman COWDREY so the cemetery on last Tuesday and the large and beautiful floral offering testified to the high esteem in which he was held by his hundreds of friends in his native town. As an evidence of his true worth in Burbank, his adopted home, the public schools were dismissed at noon Tuesday, and remained closed for the remainder of the day. Quite a number of Masons from Cotter and Mountain Home attended and participated in the funeral services of Thurman COWDREY Tuesday evening Mr. and Mrs. Ben ESTES of Harrison attended the funeral of Thurman COWDREY, their grandson in Yellville last Tuesday.

PARROT, TREAT posted by Gary D Treat on Saturday, October 31, 1925

obit Mountain Echo, Yellville, AR, Thursday, 19 Nov 1925, pg 4 "Uncle" George TREAT Dead "Uncle" George TREAT's death occured Saturday morning, October 31. Death entered our home and took from us our beloved husband and father. He leaves a wife, two sons and five daughters and a host of friends to mourn his death. He was seventy-six years old. All was done that loving hands and medical aid could do, but God saw best and sent a band of angels around the suffers' [sic] bed and bore his spirit safely home, where no sickness, pain or death ever comes. His life was taken but it lives eternally in heaven. Funeral services were conducted Sunday at three o'clock by Brother PARROT, and his body was laid to rest in the Flippin cemetary [sic]. We wish to thank our many friends for their kindness to us during the sickness and death of our beloved husband and father. Mother and children.

HALL posted by Gary D Treat on Thursday, January 21, 1926

Mountain Echo, Yellville, AR Thursday, 21 Jan 1926 [Cowan Barrens column] New has just reached here that Dan HALL had died at his home at Clarks HALL's one day last week.

ERWIN posted by Georgia Harter Williams on Thursday, July 1, 1926

Obituary of Ernest ERWIN in the Mountain Echo 1 July 1926. Ernest ERWIN died Thursday morning and was laid to rest in the Flippin cemetery Thursday afternoon. He leaves a wife and six children to mourn his death.

ERWIN, MCCUISTON, WILLIAMS posted by Georgia Harter Williams on Thursday, July 1, 1926

Obituary of Jane WILLIAMS in the Mountain Echo Thursday, 1 July 1926. Aunt Jane WILLIAMS died Wednesday night and was laid to rest in the Flippin cemetery Thrusday afternoon. Bro. MCCUISTON preaching both hers and Mr. ERWINs funeral.

MAHAN, WILLIAMS posted by Georgia Harter Williams on Thursday, July 15, 1926

Obituary of Jane WILLIAMS in the Mountain Echo, Thursday, 15 July 1926. Mrs. Jane WILLIAMS Mrs. Jane WILLIAMS, who had been confined to her room for some time, died at the home of Mrs. John NOE near Flippin on last Thursday morning. Mrs. WILLIAMS was 83 years old and had spent the greater portion of her life in the community where she died, and in her death the commuinty (sic) has lost one of its best Christian women - one who was ever ready to assist those who were sick or in distress. She will be greatly missed and her place hard to fill. She leaves 6 children living, together with a number of grandchildren to mourn her death. Her body was laid to rest Thursday evening at the Flippin cemetery in the presence of a large number of sorrowing relatives and friends. The bereaved ones have the sympathies of their many friends. Eula MAHAN

Return to Marion County, AR Home Page

View ...

Post ...

For questions about this page contact Linda Haas Davenport at

Query, Surname, and Researcher pages managed by CCHelper, an application written by Patty Lindsay.